A large family with five children, residents of a community from Cahul district, is currently one of the main priorities of the Department of Social Assistance and Family Protection, Cahul district. This family is monitored by the local guardianship authority since 2012, on the grounds that the father at that time abused alcohol and neglected his parental obligations.
In this family, 5 children are raised and educated. The first child suffers of disability of a severe degree, other three children are of school age, while the smallest one is of preschool age. All 7 members live in a small house with two rooms, at the same time there are two other rooms that need to be repaired – something that was not done due to lack of resources. Similarly to that, as a result of lack of resources and accumulated debt over the years, the family’s home has been disconnected from electricity. Therefore, there were no decent living conditions for this family.
Among the few family’s sources of income is the social assistance offered to them, the disability pension and the transport compensation offered to the child with disability. The mother is not employed, because she’s taking care of the disabled child, while the father manages to get only seasonal work. The mother has a great interest in that her children attend school regularly and she also participates in all parents’ meetings.
Following the performed evaluations, the case was discussed at the meetings of the multidisciplinary team to establish an action plan that would comprise the situation of each child. The actions aimed to improve the safety and wellbeing of children, provide assistance to the family by supporting the father to overcome his habits and making him act more responsible towards his roles, and overall to do everything possible in order to keep the children in the family.
The following measures were taken:
- Health evaluation for the child with disability;
- Assistance offered in enrolling in kindergarten the child of preschool age;
- Involvement of the three children of school-age in extracurricular activities (football, origami, cultural activities), free of charge;
- Free homeschooling for the child with disability;
- The District Commission for Child’s Rights Protection, Cahul district, provided financial aid to the family in order to help them finish the construction works in their home and pay their debts to the electricity supplier.
The offline case discussion took place on June 16, with the participation of the members of the local multidisciplinary team, child protection professionals at district level and a Childhub resource person.
At the moment, the case is at the stage of re-evaluation and closure. It follows that at the next meeting of the multidisciplinary team, there will be re-evaluated the applied measures, identified the progress made in working with the family and planned further intervention actions, if needed. As a result, it will be decided whether the case remains under the supervision and monitoring of the Department of Social Assistance and Family Protection or it is to be closed.
Case Manager: Violina Iordosopol Cavruc, Community Social Assistant, Department of Social Protection, Family and Child, Cahul District
Supervisor: Natalia Aftenii, specialist with the Department of Social Protection, Family and Child, Cahul District
The good practices gained during the management of the case:
- Even if it was decided to homeschool the child, she is not marginalized by her peers, she is invited to attend all school events and she is included in the general programme of school activities, where suitable for her needs; the girl is very successful in school.
- Professionals strongly insisted in working with the parents, especially with the father, to make them feel more responsible in fulfilling their parental duties and one of the greatest achievements is that the father finally realized that children need his support.
- At the community level, the father was supported, informed and oriented to get employment and the family was offered financial help to complete the repair of the house.
The multidisciplinary team further assessed that these actions have improved the situation in the family. The community social assistant continues to monitor the case.