Nine years old boy is a beneficiary of Drop In Shelter in New Belgrade (Center for Youth Integration is coordinating this Shelter) from June 2013 (when he entered the program he was 6). He is living in an informal settlement in New Belgrade, in a ten members family, consisting of father, mother and eight children, including the boy. Family is registered within the Center for Social Work of New Belgrade and they are receiving social assistance (financial help), but they also use the service of Public kitchen for poor people and additional financial help for children.
All children of school age were included in the educational system with a heightened motivation and all of them were able to maintain regularity in school attendance, except the boy mentioned abowe - he doesn’t go to school at all. He spends his time on the street, engaged in begging and vagrancy. Also, it is not rare for him to run away from home for a few days. Parents are reporting the disappearance to the police. Then, the police found him and return him home. Social worker from the Drop in Shelter informs and reports all of this to the Center for Social Work and specifically to the Case Manager for this family, but until now there was no reaction or reply.
There is information that the father is an alcoholic and that he was often violent towards his wife (mother of the boy). In 2013 Center for Social Work was informed about this as well. Still, none of the measures to protect mother and children are taken.
Mother and other children now deny that there is any form of violence but still, nine years old boy is running away from home, begging and errant.
- Case intervention should be going in two directions - the first one towards familly/boy and the second one towards institutions
- Key institutions are Center for Social Work, school, Center for Social Work City of Belgrade, City Secretariat for Social protection, Ombudsman
- Best interest of a child - use the fact that the boy is coming to Drop In Shelter on voluntary base
- Try to organize Case conference and to include all relevant institutions
- Using the existed legislation - primary school is required not optional according to Serbian legislation
- Importance of archiving all files and communications with institutions
- To make a child be visible within the system of social protection - using financial support from the Center for Social Work is connected to children's school engagement