Children have been abandoned by their mother since when their younger age. Since abandonment, they have been without proper care, in accordance with their basic needs. After separation with their mother difficult circumstances were created, which had a negative impact on their emotional and overall wellbeing. Economic and psycho - social situation of the remaining family was very difficult. Their father was going through tough period as separation from wife made him negligent in upcoming period. He did not care for children, they remain neglected by spending part of their time in the street, begging and doing jobs that were not adequate for their age. Abandoned children abandoned school and were not interested to continue attending. Children expressed low self-esteem. Family members did not care for cleanliness and order at home and the environment.
Safety of children
Children experienced physical and also emotional abuse by the father. He neglected their basic needs.
Health situation of children
Children were not suffering from any chronic disease, but with common inflamatory conditions, so they were continuously threatened by infections. But none of the children was immunised. Children's access to health services and other essential services was very limited. They visited the doctor only in exceptional circumstances.
Involvement in school
4 of older children were enrolled in school. But their learning was interrupted as a result of family circumstances.
Children were not taking part in educational activities and cultural activities in the community. They were completely disconnected from the flow of events organized for children at their age. Their arent stopped contacting the wider family. Their neighborhood did not show willingness to support children and the family. Children were not registered so they were without any legal identity. In the absence of evidence for their status, they did not receive social assistance. From the moment of separation, their father was not engaged in order to meet the needs of children, he neglected their needs for medication and school, but in some cases he also exerted physical violence. He also possessed very little information about childcare. The economic situation of the family was poor, living conditions not good. Condition of the house was poor leaving children without bathroom, place to sleep and was unsuitable for them to be feed. The situation in the family created an impact on children so they were not socialized with their peers.
Case referral at CMR (Case Management Roundtable) Case referral at CMR (Case Management Roundtable) after the case was identified. This case is referred to CSW (Center foe Social Work) in order to provide services to children and the family. After an initial assessment and identification of needs, case manager had brought the conclusion that this situation posed a danger to children and should measures should be undertaken. During CMR meeting with relevant stakeholders an action plan was drafted and sharing responsibility in providing services to children and parent continued.
Current family situation
Four children are attending the school. They are not begging on the street and attend regular classes in elementary school. None of the children are engaged to work, that is not in accordance with their age. Their emotional health is significantly improved thanks to the support and ongoing consultation. Children are active participants in the activities organized in the community, but also in other activities organized by different actors. The integration of children is evident, they are increasingly socialized with other children of the community. In the family, level of awareness is raised in terms of regular visits to the doctor. Their father has taken responsibility towards their children. He has developed a certain knowledge to care for children his, he become responsive to the needs of children. He is being highly motivated and responsive in support of children attending school. Sanitation is significantly improved. Access to different services by the family is raised at satisfactory level.
Family is significantly stabilized and has overcome the problems and difficulties wich they faced previously.
Contact with the biological mother was impossible, because she lives in a neighboring country where communication with their institutions was difficult.
These services are offered to the family in a period close to 2 years.
- Lack of information from CSW about the case. Information regarding separation of the couple is missing, which is a handicap in taking adequate approach towards the family.
- Although CSW's are mandated to register newcomers as a consequence of displecament, this service wasn't provided therefore the family didn't provide information at the registry office.
- In cases when 6 children are involved then there is difficult for one institution to deal with such cases.
- Relevant institutions need to work more on prevention in order to prevent such cases to appear at this scale.
- Also institutions are having difficulties in dealing with cases where displacenemt of people occurs due to lack of information which hinders planning, budget allocations etc.
- There are cases when local Directorate for Education at municipal level doesn't report on the absence of schoolchildren.
- There is lack of communication between institutions at the local level.
- Lack of funding to deal with more complex cases and other cases with medium or high risk related to child protection.
- The problem is also lack of Psychologist in CSW.
- Lack of sheltering which would hep in addition with the case.
- There is a need to increase capacities of the institutions to work more on prevention, in raising awareness and other aspects.
- Better social policies are needed in order to provide with adequate and effective services.