Well-known child psychiatrist Prof. Dr. Svetomir Bojanin, who has been dealing with school-age children for almost 70 years, talks about the impact of school on children's development, their mental health, and further success in life…
School programs are like hating children. In my time or in the time of Nikola Tesla, we counted up to 20 in the first grade and we understood. Some children can do that, but some do not understand. Some develop intelligence faster, and some develop emotions. Emotions are very important, and we in schools forget that we have people, not objects.
- We organize grades for grades and competitions from the first grade, and we do not teach them to cooperate. You know, without an agreement, agreement, tolerance… there is not even a robbery.
- In math, we chase them when they make mistakes. Children need to be taught to play math, not just make it harder for them. Rare are those who make their own programs and methods in their chaos. We cannot accept them.
- A child up to the age of 6 lives in the present time, and sometimes it is the same at school age. Those who make programs know nothing about it. An example is the lessons about the past tense in the fifth grade, where they are told that the computer is calculated this way and that way… Although most may not understand this, the program goes further…
- Vukovci are children who should have maximally developed abilities, but that order does not guarantee their behavior in other segments of life. No ministry has ever done research on what happened to all those wolves later in life. Nobody even knows how the wolves from primary school went to high school. But that order still exists.
- There are about 10% of children with disharmonious development in schools and more and more children with developmental disabilities. Every child is capable of something, but comparing it to children of typical development is inappropriate. They need a different help and approach. Schools do not have the help of special educators, although it is known that it is necessary. The special educator prepares the field for sowing, which means that for the preparation for writing and arithmetic, the special educator first prepares the child, and the teacher teaches him to write letters.
- Some enroll in high school where they don't belong, where it doesn't suit them. If we are rational, we must control that product and not be guided by social peace. Nobody evaluates what is with our products (children).
- I wonder if we do our job in schools or some social comedy called a political story. Many teachers do not see the point in many things, but we are striking only for salaries, not for insolence and lack of professional freedom.
Taken from https://centarzalogopediju.rs/