The Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers has just adopted new Council of Europe Strategy for the Rights of the Child (2016-2021). It will be launched at a High Level Conference in Sofia on 5 and 6 April 2016, during the Bulgarian Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers.
Five strategy priorities include:
- Equal opportunities for all children: fighting poverty and preventing exclusion, especially in the times of economic austerity; countering discrimination, including against children affected by migration, children with disabilities, those from minority groups, as well as LGBT and intersex children.
- Participation of all children in policy-making processes: citizenship and human rights education in schools.
- A life free of violence for all children: combatting sexual exploitation and abuse; eliminating of corporal punishment in all settings; countering other forms of violence – bullying, including homophobic and cyber-bullying, and protecting children from radicalization-linked violence.
- Child-friendly justice: protecting children deprived of liberty through anti-criminalization and reintegration, safeguarding children’s rights in the family.
- Rights of the child in the digital environment: promoting creative, critical and safe use of the Internet.