To mark this year’s Safe Internet Day, Council of Europe introduced recently adopted Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to member States on Guidelines to respect, protect and fulfil the rights of the child in the digital environment. The Recommendation is available in different languages and provides a guideline on how to protect and empower children`s rights in a digital world. This is one in the series of relevant documents by the Council of Europe, including:
- Convention on the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse (Lanzarote Convention), which makes criminal exploitation of children through pornography and knowingly accessing online child abuse material.
- A guide for parents on how to protect their children from dangers of Internet
- Internet Literacy Handbook that provides tips, advice and materials for wide range of stakeholders, from families, to educators, policy makers and young people themselves on how to use Internet safely and responsibly.
- An online game for children to learn how to stay safe while online and materials for teachers linked to the game.
- Guide on human rights for internet users that discusses human rights and freedoms in the context of the Internet