UNICEF has just published a report on the issue of violence against children. Some of the key facts of the report ”A Familiar Face: Violence in the lives of children and adolescents”:
- Three quarters of children aged 2 to 4 worldwide – close to 300 million – are regularly subjected to violent discipline (physical punishment and/or psychological aggression) by their parents or other caregivers at home, and around 6 in 10 (250 million) are subjected to physical punishment;
- Worldwide, 1 in 4 children (176 million) under the age of 5 live with a mother who has been a recent victim of intimate partner violence;
- Worldwide, close to 130 million (1 in 3) students between the ages of 13 and 15 experience bullying;
- Every 7 minutes, somewhere in the world, an adolescent is killed by an act of violence;
- Worldwide, around 15 million adolescent girls aged 15 to 19 have experienced forced sex in their lifetime;
More information about the report can be found here.
The interview with the Claudia Cappa, the report author and UNICEF senior data specialist, about the just released report, can be read here.