Nowadays there is one topic that creates tension in lots of people, especially in the U.S. and that is racism and the inequity that comes with it. Racism begins in childhood and puts limitations in front of children.
Save the Children's organisation is based on children rights, their work is involved around children who suffer from failures and damages due to racism.
Here are some facts about the situation of black children in contrast to white babies in America:
- They are more than twice as likely to die in their first year and 3 times as likely to die from complications that came up in prematurity
- The maternal mortality for black women is 3 times higher, also they are 3 times as likely to live in poverty
- They do not have equal access to high-quality early education and are more often suspended or expelled from programs according to research
- They are 2 times as likely not to graduate high school on time
- They are 8 times as likely to be murdered
The poor education they get results in being dropped out of school, becoming a teen parent, never attending college or being arrested for a violent crime. They do not get the right support at the beginning, and that is unacceptable.
It is the powerful institutions and organisations job to put an end to it.
The right thing to do for us is to listen and educate ourselves and our children and fight against injustice and inequality. We need to start in childhood to empower future generations day by day like Save the Children does.
The work of Save the Children:
- It is committed to retain and promote a diverse workforce as well as ensure children to have access to appropriate learning,
- Moreover, they deliver programs to communities, families and children in order to reduce inequity and to take care of children's rights both in the U.S. and around the world,
- They are also committed to choose children's future when it comes to electing the government and they support to demand accountability from elected officials being in charge of protecting children.