The Coalition of NGOs for the Protection of Children in Kosovo - KOMF has published the Monitoring Report "My Municipality, My Social Right" on the process of decentralization of social services in Kosovo.
This report elaborates on the factors that have hindered the full implementation of decentralization such as:
- Lack of sustainable funding for social services
- Lack of a contracting scheme for the purchase of social services by the non-governmental sector
- Limited capacity of municipalities to manage social services
- Low accountability
- Uncertainties in the division of responsibilities between the central and municipal level, etc.
The main recommendations from this report are:
- Prioritize the implementation of decentralization of social services at the central and municipal level
- Establishment of a Specific Grant for Social Services under the Law on Local Government Finance, to ensure sustainable and equitable funding for social and family services
- Defining the role and sharing of responsibilities of central and municipal level institutions within the new Law on Social and Family Services
- Separation of inspection and monitoring function within the Law on Social and Family Services
- Monitoring and evaluation of social services by the non-governmental / private sector
- Licensing of social services provided by the public sector
- Establishment of a sustainable scheme by municipalities for contracting social and family services by the non-governmental sector
- Strengthening municipalities and CSWs for budget planning and management for social services
- Increasing the number and profiling of social service officials in CSW to respect the minimum standards of MLSW for the number of officials in relation to the number of beneficiaries
- Establishment of a training unit within the MLSW, which will deal with training and continuous training of social service officials.