To provide expert advice to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) and the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development (MoESTD) on several projects belonging to the Education priority area.
The overall objective of the project is to enable the Government to drive forward a set of citizen-centric policy measures and interventions, which will make a substantial difference to the quality of life experienced by Serbia’s citizens.
The Prime Minister of the Republic of Serbia, in her address to Parliament, outlined her reform plan of the government. This plan envisages strengthening institutions, enhancing connectivity with the region, improving business environment and creating appealing investment climate to increase competitiveness of the economy and ensure sustainable growth and better living standard for all citizens. The Government has a plan to make the biggest progress on the Global Competitiveness Index, reaching placement in the 60, thus becoming among the first ranked countries of Southeastern Europe.
To steer reforms at a fast-track pace, the Office of the Prime Minister has set up a Strategic Project Implementation Unit (Delivery Unit) as a single information and coordination point supporting the head of Government in reaching evidence-based policy decisions. Areas, outlined in the expose of the Prime Minister, where there is huge potential, include tourism, creative industries and culture, infrastructure, IT and entrepreneurship, education, public administration reform, agriculture and improvement of the investment climate. The overall objective of the project is to enable the Government to drive forward a set of citizen-centric policy measures and interventions, which will make a substantial difference to the quality of life experienced by Serbia’s citizens.
The purpose of the project is the support the Office of the Prime Minister by providing advisory services to its Strategic project implementation Unit tasked with supporting the Cabinet in delivering better results faster.
The PMO has formed teams to work on each priority area (lot). UNDP will support Advisors in each team, who will advise on individual projects.
With this ToR, UNDP seeks to engage a Technical Advisor for the Education lot.
The education system is recognized by the Government as crucial for development of human capital of Serbia, providing skilled work force that attracts investors and stimulating innovation that drives competitiveness and long-term sustainable growth of Serbia’s economy. With this in mind, the Prime Minister’s Office has identified key priority areas to drive education reform and ensure sustainable economic and social development of the citizens of Serbia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Scope of work
The Technical Advisor will provide advisory services to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) on the development of citizen-centric policy measures and interventions regarding the projects belonging to Education Lot.
More specifically, the Technical Advisor is responsible for day-to-day monitoring of activities and providing substantive guidance in the Education component of the “Management of Citizen-Centric Policy Measures – Office of the Prime Minister”. The Technical Advisor will manage monitoring of the projects in the field, coordination between different stakeholders and propose plans for policy development in this priority area. The Technical Advisor will provide support to the PMO on development of policy towards the reforms in the education sector, identifying key reform areas, defining targets and benchmarks, and identifying any critical issues as they emerge.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Monitoring of portfolio/projects progress; risks management; ensuring that issues are identified and addressed; progress and results reporting;
- Maintain regular communication with relevant line ministries, implementation agencies and other involved stakeholders in order to advise the PMO of developments concerning the portfolio of projects and provide recommendations for action;
- Monitor the work of consultants engaged, provide guidance and peer review of monthly reports on individual projects, and approve consultants’ monthly progress reports;
- Monitor progress of all projects in the portfolio, advise on overall coordination, provide analysis of options and risks and develop aggregated reports with recommendations for action;
- Develop and manage, in coordination with partners, the overall implementation strategy for activities in the Education lot;
- Provide inputs for project work plans and project reports (semiannual progress reports and final report) and their presentation to the National Project Director/Project Board for review/approval.
Provide policy advise to internal/external partners
- Provide substantive advice to the PMO on key issues in the project area.
- Maintain good cooperation and coordination between national counterparts, project partners and other relevant stakeholders.
- Identify, collect and analyze relevant policy-related information and data.
- Prepare briefs, talking points and relevant materials.
- Draft terms of reference for consultants and project personnel.
Support partnerships building
- Actively participate in and coordinate meetings, training sessions, conferences and public promotion of projects.
- As required, prepare official correspondence for national and international partners.
- Perform other duties as required.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- PMO satisfaction with provided services;
- Regular contact with relevant ministries, other stakeholders and beneficiaries maintained;
- Inputs for reports and Annual Workplans developed on time in line with quality standards.
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Client oriented: establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Good application of Results-Based Management;
- Good organizational and time management skills;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ethical standards;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Excellent information technology skills, including word processing, database applications, presentation software, and internet;
- Treats all people fairly without prejudice;
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, business, organizational science, public policy or other relevant field.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience, preferably working across the private, public and donor communities to build partnerships and drive project implementation;
- Experience in managing complex projects/processes that included extensive communication, coordination and facilitation requirements;
- Experience in partnership building at international, national, regional and local level;
- Work experience in the education sector would be an asset;
- Proven ability to deliver high quality output in implementation of projects;
- Track record of preparing high quality reports/documents;
- Strong network of national stakeholders, including public institutions, international organizations and businesses.
- Sound understanding of Serbia's political, institutional, and socio-economic situation;
- Knowledge of the system, structure and functioning of public administration in Serbia;
- Excellent knowledge of the ongoing and planned projects and initiatives undertaken by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development;
- Good understanding of the implemented government policies in respective area;
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office package, especially Excel and Power Point.
- Proven leadership skills, ability to organize and motivate team, deliver when working under pressure and within changing circumstances;
- Excellent writing/reporting and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and team building skills.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Click here to apply.