City: Attica, Greece
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: it provides emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. DRC works in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, it strives for responsible and sustainable solutions. DRC works toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Its vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under supervision of the Education Officer and in close cooperation with the teachers, the Education Cultural Mediator, will provide support to implementation of non-formal education activities for migrant and refugee children and adults. Education Cultural Mediator will support the teachers in implementing high quality education program, age appropriate and in line with children and adult needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Support teachers in implementation of non-formal education activities for children and adults in Refugee accommodation sites and off-site settings
- Support teachers in implementing culturally appropriate educational activities based on age, knowledge and individual needs of children and adults
- Provide appropriate and relevant information to refugees and migrants regarding formal and non-formal education opportunities available
- Provide cultural mediation and translation services when necessary
- Plan, organize and implement mother tongue language classes for school age children where possible
- Assist the Education Officer or teachers in administrative tasks when relevant
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Education Officer or teachers, relevant to the achievement of education objectives
- Strong verbal and written Farsi skills
- Working knowledge of Greek and English is an added advantage
- At least one year working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Experience of community-based or community mobilisation work in a humanitarian context is a strong advantage
- Computer skills
- High professional ethics
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information, visit: https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId...
Apply for this position via: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.