Early childhood education and care is a right of all children and a global commitment recognized by the UN’s Sustainable Developmental Goal 4 with the objective to ensure that all boys and girls have access to quality early childhood education and care by 2030. The Strategy of the Development of Education in Serbia until 2020 has set priorities and main objectives in ECEC:
- increasing enrolment of children aged 3-5 in ECEC to 75%,
- improving quality of ECEC,
- enhancing efficiency and relevance of the ECEC system to assure accessibility, equity and quality of provided early childhood education and care.
In order to strengthen capacities of the pre-school teachers for implementation of the new pre-school curriculum and approach - in the next 5 years, with the WB loan, the MoESTD is adding about 17,000 preschool spaces for children, and will roll out a comprehensive capacity building programme (training, mentoring, coaching, horizontal sharing) for 12,000 pre-school teachers. Team of consultants will work together to deliver complex capacity building programme and to provide technical support.
It is envisaged that throughout implementation process, the quality of the capacity building programme will be improved, based on continues monitoring. The focus of the monitoring will be on quality in terms of its relevance, delivery (engagement of participants), outcomes and further needs, etc.
All aspects of the capacity building programme will be monitored:
- trainings (classical trainings and E-learning) - relevance, quality, engagement of participants etc. Taking into consideration that it is envisaged that training programmes will be accredited by the MoESTD, national quality assurance mechanisms will be applied (Institute for Improvement of Education). In addition, quality of trainings will be monitored by mentors and by the UNICEF team. Pre and post testing will be applied.
- mentoring – quality of mentor’s support to pre-school institutions.
- peer learning and horizontal exchange (peer observation, observation visits to other pre-schools etc.)
Work Assignment Overview:
The consultant for monitoring the quality of the capacity building programme will be in charge of preparation of monitoring framework and methodology, respective tools and protocols for monitoring of effects of trainings; its relevance; main challenges, and to identify directions for its improvement (in cooperation with the QA Expert). It is predicted that monitoring expert will also perform monitoring as per developed monitoring plan, to analyse data collected and produce regular monitoring reports.
Duration of the assignment: July 2019 - October 2022 (up to 200 work days)
Task 1: Development of the monitoring methodology and tools aimed at assessing the relevance, quality, effectiveness and efficiency of trainings, mentoring and peer learning to support the implementation of the PCF.
- Desk review on international practices in monitoring of capacity building programme implementation
- Familiarization with the new Preschool Curriculum Framework and Capacity Building Programme methodology
- Initial information sharing meeting with all partners
- Development of draft structure of the monitoring and evaluation framework
- Development of methodology and instruments for trainings (classical and online), mentoring and peer learning
- Development of the final version of the monitoring framework and tools aimed at assessing the relevance, quality, effectiveness and efficiency of trainings, mentoring and peer learning to support the implementation of the PCF
Task 2: Monitoring of the trainings, mentoring support and peer learning activities according to the monitoring framework developed, through data collection and analyses.
- Collecting qualitative and quantitative data related to implementation of trainings, mentoring support, horizontal exchange in accordance with the monitoring and evaluation framework
- Analytical work and preparation of monitoring reports of trainings, mentoring, and peer learning with recommendations for improvement
- University degree in Education, Preschool Education, Early Childhood Development, Pedagogy, Psychology, Sociology, Special Pedagogy or other fields of Social Studies and Humanities;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in education policy and practice in Serbia;
- Excellent knowledge of all regulations in the field of preschool education in the Republic of Serbia;
- Knowledge of national QA assurance system in the field of education;
- Experience and design of monitoring and evaluation frameworks for national policies and measures; experience in monitoring of capacity building programmes will be considered as asset;
- Data collection; surveys (design of protocols and tools, sampling methods, statistical analysis, data processing); quantitative or qualitative methods design and facilitation of focus group discussions (FGDs), experience in conducting mix method surveys in pre-school education will be considered as asset;
- Computer skills (MS Office - Word, Power Point, Excel, Internet);
- Fluency in English and Serbian Language, both written and spoken.
How to apply:
The application must include a financial proposal in RSD as a separate document, providing the following information:
- Daily rate (all costs to be included e.g. health insurance, pension, usage of mobile phone),
- Daily travel allowance for overnight stay in Serbia (including accommodation),
- Transportation costs per km.
The closing date for applications is 14th June 2019.
Important note: Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=522711