We are recruiting a: Programmer for Social Good, for our DFID-funded Safeguarding Resource Hub project.
You are an expert in ICT4D, artificial intelligence, deep learning, or an aspiring expert in those fields. You are energetic, innovative and you aspire to find meaning in your job. You are available at short notice.
- Start date Immediately
- Duration One year fixed-term contract with possibility to extend
- Contract Employment contract with Terre des hommes Foundation in Hungary or consultancy
- Location Budapest or anywhere in Europe (homeworking possible).
WHAT WE DO
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency. Founded in 1960, we are committed to improving the lives of millions of the world's most vulnerable children. Through our innovative protection and health projects, we provide assistance to over four million children and their families in over forty countries each year. Tdh Europe has representations in six European countries (Greece, Romania, Albania, Kosovo and Ukraine) which are supported by a regional office located in Budapest, Hungary. Working with partners, Terre des hommes implements projects in 11 other countries in Europe. More information: https://www.tdh.ch/en/our-interventions/hungary
With projects funded by UEFA, Oak Foundation, Austrian Development and Cooperation and other donors, Terre des hommes is an expert and becoming a leader in online learning and community management around child protection and safeguarding. Its main flagship project in this area is ChildHub www.childhub.org.
Terre des hommes Foundation and its partners (notably Terre des hommes UK) have won a technical tender for the delivery of Resource and Support Hub (RSH) – Supporting Organisations in the International Aid Sector to Strengthen their Safeguarding Policy and Practice against Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment (SEAH).
Sexual exploitation and abuse by aid workers and peacekeepers is happening in the aid sector and it has been happening for a long time. Sexual violence, exploitation and abuse against women and girls is endemic in many developing countries, especially where there is conflict and forced displacement. This project will greatly contribute to reach our collective goal of eradicating violence against children by 2030.
The main responsibility is to lead and oversee the technical development of an innovative online platform to foster online learning and resources on child safeguarding globally and locally
Under the supervision of the Head of Child Protection Sector (and functional supervision of the ICT4D Strategist):
- Provide advice & leadership on the technical developments for the Resource Hub
- Responsible for all the technical aspects of the online platform including consistency and alignment with international standards (GDPR) and principles of digital developments, using open standards, open data, open source and open innovation
- Manage the technical infrastructure of the online platform to ensure functionality and resolve issues
- Oversee technical developments of the online platform with the contracted developers
- Ensure systematic capturing of users’ feedback, analyse data to inform technical developments
- Responsible for users’ engagement strategy of the online platform, including gamified systems
- Set the online products development strategy based on users’ experiences and advance cutting-edge developments like machine learning
Education / Qualifications : Relevant university degree (Engineer and Master or PhD degree in ICT preferred).
- Up-to-date and extensive knowledge of technological trends, in particular machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Experience in leading, designing and conducting ICT for development projects
- Experience in developing online communities of practices and similar users’ engagement platforms
- Experience and understanding of gamified approaches
Languages: English. Excellent communication skills required.
- Practical understanding of the foundations of machine learning and data science. This means understanding when/how/why to use a machine learning algorithm in a given situation, and familiarity with standard data science approaches.
- Must be a strong programmer, willing to embrace software engineering best practices, and have a working experience with Python and R. Working experience with Cloudera platform is a plus.
- Experience in designing/managing platforms and conducting AI projects.
Other Competencies Required:
- Manages time and priorities, meets deadlines
- Cooperates and contributes to achieving goals
- Shows determination and proactivity
- Supports and advises colleagues
- Adapts communication to the intercultural environment
- Ability to establish an environment of cooperation and collaboration.
- Results-oriented and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate with non-technical staff for establishing business requirements and converting these requirements into technical specifications.
- Experience in contributing to projects with team members located in several countries.
Please send a recent CV, a short Letter of Motivation, a sample of (a) successful ICT4D project(s) to the email below. There is no deadline to apply as we will review applications until the position is filled.
Send all documents (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Programmer for Social Good” in the subject line.
Child Safeguarding Policy:
Tdh (including staff members, contractors, consultants) are committed to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy. Due to the high numbers of applications, Tdh is not in a position to respond to everyone individually. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.