You are an excellent communicator with a strong interest and expertise in migration issues and child protection. You are an experienced leader capable of steering a complex programme, managing people and resources. You are looking for a meaningful job that will make a lasting impact? This challenge is for you.
Start date March / April 2019.
Contract Two-year, full-time employment contract under Hungarian laws, renewable.
Tdh is committed to a long-term employment for this position.
Salary Ranging EUR4500-4700 gross(EUR3000–3200net) depending on skills and experience, paid in local currency.
Location Budapest, Hungary with regular travels to other countries in Europe Region.
Priority will be given to the candidates legally eligible to work in EU.
TERRE DES HOMMES IN EUROPE
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency. Founded in 1960, we are committed to improving the lives of millions of the world's most vulnerable children. Through our innovative protection and health projects, we provide assistance to over three million children and their families in almost forty countries each year. In Europe, Tdh intervenes directly or indirectly in many countries, relying on teams based in Hungary (Budapest), Albania, Kosovo, Moldova, Romania, Ukraine and Greece. We work mainly in child protection, protection of children and youth in migration and access to justice. The Regional Office has been operating in Budapest since 2006.
Under the direct line management of the Head of Migration Programme based in Lausanne, reporting functionally to the Head of Europe Region, the Regional Programme Manager Children and Youth in Migration (hereinafter “Regional Manager”) has full operational responsibility over all Migration projects in Europe Region. This position is a senior leading role in the Regional Office. The Regional Manager is responsible for the steering of his/her programme at all levels in Europe Region (regional, sub-regional, national and local levels). S/he is responsible for ensuring the respect for policies, regulations and processes in force in the Foundation in all the operational activities deployed by the collaborators who are reporting to him/her.
As the leader of Tdh’s Migration Programme in Europe Region, the Regional Manager leads the development and coordinates the implementation of Tdh’s regional strategy on the programme, which will combine four main dimensions:
- Political / strategic dimension related to Migration issues, in charge of leading the strategy, communication, advocacy, and partnerships;
- Operational dimension, in charge of leading and overseeing Tdh interventions on Migration in Europe;
- Financial dimension regarding fundraising, and overall financial management of the Migration programme;
- Human resources dimension in terms of leading and overseeing the regional Migration team.
The RegIonal Manager is primarily responsible for the development of the Migration programme in the European context. S/he must ensure the most effective, efficient and sustainable deployment of the programme in this region in order to contribute to the achievement of the ambitions of impact set out in Vision 2030 and reflected in the 2016-2020 strategy.
The Regional Manager:
- Carries out his/her responsibilities with the Europe Migration programme team and in synergy/close collaboration with all other regional managers. S/he collaborates with various Migration advisers at HQ level, Humanitarian Aid Division, Transversal Child Protection Sector, the Disruptive Innovation Unit, Quality and Accountability Unit, other programmes and resources at global and regional level;
- Manages the regional Migration programme team, builds its capacity and ensures functional links with the Migration programme staff at national levels;
- Under the coordination of the Head of Migration Programme and with the support of the Migration programme advisers:
- Contributes to the Migration programme at the global level;
- Works in a team with other regional managers, especially with the objective to design and implement the Euro-Mediterranean (EuroMed) Migration;
- Participates in the development of action plans, theory of change, thematic strategies, indicators framework, policies, guidance and key tools, mechanisms and projects related to the Global Migration Programme;
- Ensures the implementation of all activities at regional level and supervises/actively contributes to the implementation of regional or sub-regional projects. More specifically, s/he coordinates the development, implementation and revision of the strategy of the programme in Europe Region with other regional programme managers, Regional Office support functions and other colleagues on the global and regional level, including managers from different regions;
- Ensures the steering/monitoring of the Migration programme in Europe and EuroMed regions and animates a regional/inter-regional dynamic and cohesion on migration related issues for Tdh. This dynamic includes thematic monitoring, geopolitical developments monitoring, stakeholders analysis, power analysis, financial analysis, migrants and refugees situation analysis and regional/trans-regional analysis in order to identify needs and opportunities, develop innovations, build financial, operational, technical and/or academic partnerships, etc;
- Represents Tdh in/at Migration related arenas/networks/bodies and ensures optimal financial coverage of Migration programme in Europe and EuroMed by coordinating with the fundraising team at HQ and regional level (philanthropy and institutional partnerships in particular) and with the delegations. More precisely, s/he co-leads the funding strategy in Migration in Europe/EuroMed and oversees/supports the development of funding requests/proposals for all scales of interventions (regional, transnational, national, local), contributing to ensure that they match the programmatic vision;
- Establishes the operational budget of the programme at the regional level, ensuring that it is validated and on track;
- Within the scope of his/her responsibilities, represents the programme within the Tdh regional team and Tdh staff in the countries of intervention, as well as through partnerships and contacts/collaboration with various external networks or bodies. Upholds the good reputation of Tdh as a leading organisation on migration in the region, recognized and sought by all stakeholders for its technical expertise;
- Ensures compliance with the Theory of Change and the thematic policy of the programme and provides technical support to the teams for which s/he is directly or indirectly responsible, as well as those who collaborate in the development, operational implementation, monitoring, evaluation and capitalization of projects integrated into the Migration programme in Europe/EuroMed;
- Coordinates the management and knowledge sharing of his/her area of activity at the European level, including ensuring the accessibility and dissemination of institutional knowledge and personal knowledge in his/her field of expertise, internally and externally;
- Supports the implementation of cross-cutting projects of the Protection Unit and the development of Tdh's expertise in the field of protection and development of children on the move and other children affected by migration/mobility;
- Drafts the annual activity report of the Migration Programme for Europe/EuroMed and prepares or supervises the production of narrative and financial reports to donors financing the projects and actions of the Migration programme in Europe.
- University degree (Master’s or equivalent) from an accredited educational institution in a relevant field;
- 7+ years of practical experience on a managerial level in migration and development, child protection, combating the exploitation of children or other related fields;
- Good knowledge of networks active in the field of migration and development, child protection, combating the exploitation of children and combating trafficking in children;
- Expertise in programme steering, including the development, operational implementation, coordination, monitoring / evaluation and capitalization / documentation;
- Expertise in grant writing, grant management and research of institutional funds, with a very good knowledge of financial partners;
- Knowledge of and familiarity with international and national conventions, legislation, policies and strategies relating to the protection and mobility of children in Europe;
- Knowledge and mastery of the protective accompaniment of children (APE), the thematic policies in the field of child protection and the minimum standards of protection of the child;
- Knowledge and experience of working with or in partnership with large international organisations;
- Ability to establish an environment of cooperation and collaboration;
- Excellent team player; self-motivated, with skills to support and advise others;
- Ability to learn from difficult experiences, capitalize on mistakes and seize new opportunities;
- Ability to translate the organizational strategy into clear priorities, objectives and operational actions;
- Experience in contributing to projects with team members located in several countries;
- Excellent communication skills; high proficiency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of French is an asset;
- Results-oriented and problem-solving skills;
- Capacity for rigor and precision, transparency and honesty;
- Ability to uphold high standards under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- Flexibility, availability and adaptability.
Child Safeguarding Policy:
Raising awareness within the Foundation on violence against children; providing guidance to employees and others and defining expectations when it comes to preventing, raising, denouncing and responding to issues of child abuse; reducing the risk of child abuse by selectively recruiting employees and others; reducing the risk of child abuse by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their CV and letter of motivation in English to:
Please include “Regional Programme Manager” followed by your name and surname in the subject line of the application email. Please indicate in the email content where you found our Vacancy Announcement.
Due to an anticipated high number of applications, Tdh is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.