- Position Title : Senior Programme Manager
- Duty Station : Athens, Greece
- Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
- Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated
- Start Date : As soon as possible
- Closing Date : 16 January 2019
Context: The International Organization for Migration is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners. In response to the ongoing emergency situation in Greece and to ensure dignified and harmonized reception and protection standards, as prescribed by the EU and national legislation, IOM will support the Government of Greece (GoG) in the daily management of all long-term accommodation sites operating in the Country by providing Site Management Support assistance (SMS). Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director for the European Economic Area (RO Brussels) and the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the successful candidate will be responsible for the overall management, financial oversight and implementation of the SMS project focusing on protection related issues, camp management, limited construction/refurbishment as well as coordination and monitoring of the activities assigned to the implementing partners (Danish Refugee Council Greece (DRC), Arbeiter Samariter Bund (ASB) and European Expression) and specialized protection actors (UNICEF, ARSIS, Greek Council for Refugees (GCR)); responsibility shall also include monitoring and evaluation as well as relations with relevant counterparts, donors and stakeholders. The position is based in IOM Athens but shall require travel to the locations where the project activities will be implemented.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for overseeing, managing and supervising the operational and administrative day to day operations of the SMS project ensuring that planned activities are implemented in line with approved projects documents.
2. Oversee the selection and recruitment of project staff to meet the strength and profiles relevant to the implementation of activities; supervise, empower and guide project staff to ensure compliance with IOM rules and regulations vis-à-vis project development and implementation.
3. Exercise financial, administrative and operational management responsibility for the project. Ensure the monitoring of the financial expenditures of projects to ensure consistent management and adequate budget consumption rate to meet implementation milestones and deadlines.
4. Prepare, manage and analyze budget utilization and discuss with RMO and CoM, advising on any deviations to the approved donor agreement.
5. Prepare all project donor reports according to IOM and donor formats, as required. Prepare or ensure the preparation of regular updates, programme summaries and other relevant documents.
6. Ensure compliance of operations with IOM rules, regulations and policies. Develop and ensure the continuous review of project implementation strategies and provide guidance, taking corrective measures and action.
7. Ensure the achievement of maximum efficiency in programme delivery as well as measure and share results with senior staff and counterparts.
8. Ensure coordination with, and involvement of, national and local stakeholders through a whole-of-society approach, to increase their ownership and sustainability. Identify, negotiate and establish potential and innovative entry points to expand strategic and technical collaboration with these stakeholders.
9. Advise the Chief of Mission on the overall performance of relevant projects and programmes to ensure effectiveness, coherence and integrity, and to establish strategic programmatic linkages.
10. Monitor and assess the operating environment, undertake quick re-adjustments of the operations, and advice on legal considerations and risk assessment.
11. Represent IOM and organize regular meetings with the stakeholders to ensure their buy-in for the IOM emergency response activities based on the participatory and inclusive working methodology.
12. Prepare reports, briefings, background information, narratives and statistical analysis as necessary and required.
13. Undertake duty travel and lead field visits for project/programme assessment and implementation, liaison with partners and stakeholders, problem solving, and new project/programme development.
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Communications, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Substantial field experience in emergency and/ or post conflict/transition/early recovery, with strong knowledge of IOM project life cycle;
• Relevant experience in protection related issues particularly in emergency context;
• Knowledge of EU policies and procedures and management of migration flows in EU MS;
• Knowledge of donor funding mechanisms and requirements and excellent interpersonal skills to handle donor liaison are essential; • Superior reporting and writing skills;
• Demonstrated ability to supervise, train and motivate staff in a multicultural team environment;
• Experience in liaison with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Working experience in the context of multi-partner monitoring and reporting is an advantage;
• Working experience in Greece in the emergency context is an advantage. Languages Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 January 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-... In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Click here to apply.