UNICEF Moldova is seeking the support of an Individual Consultant that will The specific objective of this consultancy is to produce a “light” SitAn focusing briefly on the above macro socio-economic and political overview of the country context (captured in an introductory chapter) followed by specific analysis of three key thematics: social inclusion of most vulnerable children, violence against children and adolescents, and youth engagement and empowerment (captured in specific thematic chapters, each not exceeding 10 pages).
Purpose and objectives of the consultancy
The primary purpose of the Situation Analysis (SitAn) is to provide recent evidence on the situation of children and youth in the country by analysing the implementation of child rights within the country context.
Specific focus should be placed on the demographic profile, political and economic context, governance, public financing (especially regarding children), poverty and drivers of inequity, with specific focus on gender inequalities and gender gaps. The SitAn should identify key stakeholders advancing the child rights agenda and provide specific recommendations for future possible policy and programme interventions.
The specific objective of this consultancy is to produce a “light” SitAn focusing briefly on the above macro socio-economic and political overview of the country context (captured in an introductory chapter) followed by specific analysis of three key thematics: social inclusion of most vulnerable children, violence against children and adolescents, and youth engagement and empowerment (captured in specific thematic chapters, each not exceeding 10 pages).
Specifically, the consultancy will:
- review available key knowledge products (research and studies) of UNICEF conducted in the period 2017-2019 (as reflected in Annex 1)
- review available data sources (official statistics, treaty body reports, other UN agencies and organizations’ reports linked with the three thematic areas – UNICEF will provide a suggested list of such reports)
- conduct (skype) interviews with stakeholders, if needed so, to complete the data and information (UNICEF will facilitate contacts
Based on this review, produce a comprehensive report providing synthesised information on:
- Moldova’s macro socio political and economic context with potential impact on realization of child rights;
- A summary overview of the situation of children in regard to social inclusion, violence against children and adolescents, and youth engagement and empowerment captured in issue-based chapters (that can also be used as stand-alone briefing papers as required);
- Key policy and program recommendations.
The analysis will take into consideration key data from UNICEF’s 2016 SitAn (to be used as baseline) and, based on most recent data analysis, will comment on key areas of progress and key remaining bottlenecks for realization of child rights.
Qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree in social science (sociology, economics, anthropology, development studies, etc.) or related fields relevant to the assignment;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in conducting equity-focused research and analysis;
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of the human rights-based approach to programming, an understanding of the CRC, CEDAW and other relevant frameworks, as well as SDGs;
- Proven ability to review and synthesize trends, data and information from variety of sources;
- Strong writing and analytical skills to ensure quality of final products;
- Fluency in English;
- Prior experience with the UN and UNICEF in a similar capacity will be an asset;
- Knowledge of regional and local context will be an asset.
HOW TO APPLY: To read more detailed information and apply for this position, please visit UNICEF web-page: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=523546
Applications for this position must be received no later than on: 16 July 2019
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, preference will be given to female and male candidates from all backgrounds and minority groups, including persons with disabilities, to apply.
UNICEF is a global organization that seeks to improve the lives and health of children, especially the most vulnerable ones. UNICEF works in more than 190 countries and territories to help children survive and thrive, from early childhood through adolescence. UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. For more information about UNICEF and its work in Moldova visit: http://www.unicef.md/