In the first three quarters of the year:
- 72.263 irregular migrant and refugees arrived in Europe by sea (in the same period of last year was nearly 84.345)
- 1.041 of them died at sea (1.890 in the same period of last year)
- on the Eastern Mediterranean route: 39.155 arrived to Greece (more than half of the total arrivals) and 66 deaths were reported
- on the Western Mediterranean route: 17.405 irregular migrants and refugees arrived in Spain and 315 deaths were reported
- on the Central Mediterranean route 8.000 migrants entered Italy (compared to 21.100 in the same period of last year) + 2.800 arrived to Malta (compared to 714 in the same period of last year), 660 deaths reported
18.960 victims died in the Mediterranean routes since 2014 based on IOM figures.